An Anaphylactic shock, or anaphylaxis, is a life-threatening, serious allergic reaction to an allergen such as food substances or insect stings. If it is not treated appropriately, it may cause death. This training is for qualified First Aiders and Emergency First Aiders to enable them to recognise and treat anaphylaxis safely and effectively.
This course is suitable for all First Aiders and healthcare professionals, as well as those in a high-risk environment where such medication is available.
Explain the treatment for anaphylaxis:
- Non re-breather mask
- Removal of trigger
- Identify key features of adrenaline-auto injectors.
- Conduct an initial assessment using the ABCDE approach.
- Demonstrate a recovery position.
- Demonstrate resuscitation for adult and/or child.
- Recognise the need to use an auto-injector.
- Prepare medication for administration during anaphylaxis treatment.
- Demonstrate the safe use of an adrenaline auto-injector using a training device.
- Safely dispose of sharps according to agreed ways of working
- Handover the casualty to a medical professional