This training enables users to administer oxygen safely and effectively, for casualties with breathing difficulties. Delegates will learn how and when to administer oxygen to a casualty and the safety concerns with carrying, storing and administering it.
This course is suitable for qualified First Aiders, Emergency First Aiders, dental practitioners and dental care professionals, nurses, healthcare professionals and others working in an environment where oxygen is available for casualty welfare.
At the end of the course, learners will be able to:
- Explain benefits of oxygen therapy.
- Identify indications for the use of oxygen.
- Explain contraindications prohibiting use of oxygen.
- Explain dangers of using compressed gas.
Outline health and safety rules for the:
- Handling of oxygen
- Carry out operational checks in preparation for use of oxygen therapy equipment.
- Identify when oxygen therapy is required.
Administer oxygen using the required flow rate for the following oxygen delivery devices:
- Non re-breather mask
- Bag, valve and mask
- Administer oxygen to a patient in line with agreed ways of working.